Agency Interview Type: Either Web Cam or In Person Interview
DHS is looking for a Software Developer/Programmer (AA1) – Mainframe Developer/Analyst to analyze/develop/test/migrate code for our legacy mainframe systems (COBOL, JCL, ADSO/IDMS).
Job Description :
DHS is looking for a Software Developer/Programmer (AA1) – Mainframe Developer/Analyst to analyze/develop/test/migrate code for our legacy mainframe systems (COBOL, JCL, ADSO/IDMS). As knowledge transfer happens and experience with our mainframe systems the position will help transition and build bridges to new non-mainframe systems at the same time helping keep the current legacy systems compliant.
Demonstrated through prior experience the ability to:
• The role is more of a technical analyst/developer.
• Trace and document data system logic and flows by reading & analyzing JCL, COBOL programs, CICS definitions, ADSO/IDMS programs and 3rd party utility control cards, IDCAMS, SYNCSORT and other common mainframe data manipulation processes.
• Extracting and documenting Business Rules embedded in Mainframe programs, third party utilities, and other data manipulation products. This includes both business and functional aspects of the business rules.
• Understanding, analyzing and documenting current Mainframe logic and flows and work with users and business teams to correlate how the systems support the current business, Federal and State requirements.
• Must complete assigned task; communicate accurate and useful status updates; follow quality standards; Ability to work in a team environment; strong communication skills; both written and spoken.
• Perform on-call duties for nightly and weekend batch cycles
• Attention to details is a must since the documentation generated would be the basis of system rewrites.
• Very clear, strong and precise Verbal and written communication skills are needed in order to work and coordinate with multiple teams.
• Prior DHS experience would be a plus.
• Work independently with little supervision or guidance.
• Demonstrates a willingness to independently dive in and learn new systems, processes, and business functionality.
Skills Matrix :
MVS JCL and Procs 5 years Required
COBOL 5 Years Required
Required 5 years Required
CICS 5 years Required
Use of File Aid for Analysis of Files 5 years Required
Familiarity with Panvalet or another Source Control repository on the mainframe 5 years Required
Defining and documenting existing Business Processes 5 years Required
Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio. etc. 5 years Required
Build solutions within the specified project timelines
Accurately prepare written correspondence that is coherent, grammatically correct, effective, professional and engaging.
5 years Required
Demonstrated ability of high levels of interpersonal and communication skills. 5 years required
Demonstrated ability of self-motivation, self-direction, and able to work with little or no supervision. 5 years Required
Previous experience with scheduling software (Control-M preferred) 5 Years Required
Demonstrate ability documenting and proposing architecture for non-Mainframe Systems. Highly Desired