The Technical Engagement Manager for the Division of Information Technology is responsible for a variety of department and project tasks associated with managing and tracking business and IT initiatives.
The Technical Engagement Manager for the Division of Information Technology is responsible for a variety of department and project tasks associated with managing and tracking business and IT initiatives, specifically moving systems, data and network connections, data warehouse, cloud integration, remote physical systems, and an agency transition from Google suite to Microsoft 365.
The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) provides adaptable, secure, and cost-effective technology services and solutions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Divisions, Partners, and Citizens. We manage all HHS IT assets, projects, and resources, and we deliver technology and expertise to support the Citizens of Iowa and their families every day. This includes consistently delivering top-tier performance and value to citizens as a trusted partner and services provider. If you are passionate about applying your creative and innovative strategies and approaches across the Department of Health and Human Services enterprise, then this is the role for you!
The department is seeking a seasoned Technical Engagement Manager to manage two complex and highly visible initiatives: an agency transition from Google Suite to Microsoft 365 and a data warehouse migration. These efforts will include managing multiple external vendors, internal stakeholders, and various State of Iowa business areas in a confluence of efforts related to the migrations. The role is accountable for the successful migration within a confined business scope, budget, and identified timeline.
Specific to Google to Microsoft 365, this project consists of transitioning the agency’s approximately 800 Google users to Microsoft. This includes working with the infrastructure teams and business teams to ensure a successful transition of mail and content migration.
Specific to the Data Warehouse move, the project consists of relocating the Data Warehouse infrastructure, including on-premises SQL servers and file servers. Integration services packages will need to be converted to Azure Data Factory pipelines that move data from source locations into the Azure Data Lake and Synapse. There will also be a large component of remodeling data structures into data marts and other business-specific schemas.
The Technical Engagement Manager will be responsible for adhering to project management governance on all assigned projects. Additionally, the Technical Engagement Manager will be accountable for generating project schedules, identifying/staffing needed resourcing, completing the procurement of vendor products/implementation services, and submitting funding requests as required. The Technical Engagement Manager will manage the delivery efforts and report the status of each to the Executive Steering Committee.
The Technical Engagement Manager will work with multiple business and platform areas including Information Technology, HHS Leadership, the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), and other State Agencies and business units. The Engagement Manager will conduct project meetings and is responsible for project tracking and analysis, ensuring adherence to quality standards and project deliverables.
The Technical Engagement Manager will be part of a Project Management Office (PMO) team responsible for all aspects of IT project governance, assessment, management, and control. The ability to gather and define requirements; build a project plan; identify resource needs; and transparent, clear communications across all levels of stakeholders. Essential is the ability to multi-task on continually changing and morphing priorities as prescribed by leadership in response to department and legislative direction.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Ability to work within a project governance structure (methodology, required templates, and reporting).
• Ability to interact with, educate, learn from, and drive business and IT teams.
• Ability to work effectively under very broad direction with general supervision.
• Ability to motivate a team and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
• Ability to gather and organize multiple simultaneous complex business process scenarios.
• Ability to break down complex tasks into actionable work items, sequenced appropriately.
• Ability to manage scope creep with a focus on delivering a minimum viable product.
• Ability to manage external vendors, internal stakeholders, and business units.
• Excellent organizational, presentation, interpersonal, and team-building skills.
• Excellent time management and project planning/strategizing skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience with managing client expectations and implementing data migration efforts.
• Demonstrated experience managing multiple parallel work efforts.
• Track project progress, monitor and modify project schedules and provide status updates to a project team. Escalate issues to management and/or appropriate leadership as appropriate.
• Provide insight and knowledge into improving processes related to portfolio, project, and program management.
• Other duties or tasks as assigned by management.
Experience with transitions to Microsoft 365 suite Required 8 Years
Cloud Migration Required 8 Years
Direct management of system integration projects Required 8 Years
Experience managing stakeholder expectations and priorities Required 8 Years
Experience working within a project governance structure (methodology, required templates, and reporting) Required 8 Years
Extensive experience with planning, managing, and tracking multiple major impact projects. Required 8 Years
Strong process development skills, w/ the ability to learn and understand concepts to interpret, document, and formalize procedures Required 8 Years
Strong process and gap analysis skills Required8 Years
Excellent project management skills, w/ the ability to multitask and manage multiple tasks with changing priorities in a cross-functional environment Required 8 Years
Demonstrated experience with working with business users to gather and document business requirements Required 8 Years
Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and project activities simultaneously while meeting established deadlines Required 8 Years