Agency Interview Type: Either Web Cam or In Person
This position is Hybrid (Remote and Onsite). The candidate first day is onsite and onsite on demand basis. Preference will be given to candidate local to Atlanta Metro area / State of Georgia. Do you accept this requirement?
Preference will be given for candidates who are US Citizens, Permanent Residence Card (aka "Green Card") or have Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Do you accept this requirement?
This position is in Atlanta, GA. Your consultant is required to travel to the GDOT Atlanta Office, GA at no expense to GDOT in order to obtain their computing equipment and ID/Security badge in Atlanta GA in order to being onboarding. Do you accept this requirement?
GDOT prefers candidates who can demonstrate they have the capability to work a hybrid work schedule which is a combination of remote and in-office work. Candidate capacity (i.e. days they could come into the office) to work a hybrid work schedule will be discussed during interviews.
Software Engineer Specialist for the Custom Applications Operations team within the Georgia Department of Transportation.
As a Software Engineer Specialist for the Custom Applications Operations team within the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT), you will provide technical support, troubleshooting, and issue resolution for custom software applications primarily developed on the .NET framework. You will work closely with clients, end-users, and Support Specialists members to ensure the successful delivery of high-quality support services. Functional areas of the custom applications are all aspects of the business: project information, contract management, invoice management, permit processes, approval workflows, and others.
• Provide technical support and troubleshooting.NET in-house custom applications using Visual Studio (including VS2010, VS2013, VS2017, VS2019, and VS2022).
• Ability to build and run applications from source control repositories, understand technical documentation provided by developers, find the root cause of issues, and add to backlog Sprint list for release fixes.
• Assist in fixing bugs for release when assigned. Escalate bug issues that require additional resources and major changes to the application to the team lead/supervisor. Document findings and the root cause of the problem and meet with the assigned developer to provide conclusions.
• Work on POC research with the assistance of a Software Architect and Database Architect.
• Run SQL statements in SQL Server and Oracle to analyze issues reported in the application.
• Create SQL statements for applications with backend support tickets and follow up database standards for the approval cycle for the team lead, database team, and architects.
• Work with the assistance of architects and DevOps when assigned.
• Troubleshoot, document, and resolve software issues and bugs.
• Analyze, resolve, document, and track support tickets and issues in a ticketing system, add comments, and communicate with the users on the resolution completion.
• Collaborate with project managers and development teams to identify areas for improvement in software functionality and user experience.
• Communicate effectively with clients and stakeholders regarding technical issues and solutions.
• Perform routing validations and monitoring of applications.
• Assist with System Operations Team in deployments.
• Work closely with Software Specialists to resolve problems in the application, an additional level of troubleshooting tier.
• Participate in database, software, infrastructure upgrade analysis, validation, and deployments.
• Participate in server upgrades for Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BCDR) in GDOT private cloud infrastructure using the VMWare vSphere Metro Stretched Cluster (MSC).
• Follow the Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) processes used within GDOT (Incident > Problem > Change) in ServiceNow (Ticking system).
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field
• 5+ years of experience in development, software support, or related role
• Strong knowledge of the .NET framework and related technologies
• Experience with Oracle and SQL Server databases to perform queries
• Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail
• Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with clients and team members
• Experience writing knowledge base articles to support custom applications
• Developed applications in .NET technologies with Kendo UI Telerik, Web API, REST API, JSON, SQL DB, Oracle database, XML, and HTML5
• Experience with ServiceNow ITSM system is preferred
Work Terms and Conditions
The consultant will follow all applicable State of Georgia and GDOT policies, procedures, standards, guidelines, and accepted best practices.
The position end date is set for the end of the Georgia DOT fiscal year. Georgia DOT may exercise the option to renew contracts in one-year increments. Several successful consultants have continued working for several years with contract extensions. However, Georgia DOT is under no obligation to extend contracts and may terminate employment at any time.
When teleworking or working remotely, consultant must have suitable internet connection and environment to comply with GDOT telework policies.
GDOT will reimburse authorized travel expense lodging and meals. Georgia DOT will reimburse authorized travel use of a personal vehicle use. Any travel expenses to relocate to Georgia or to start work will not be reimbursed. All travel expense reimbursement shall be in accordance with State Accounting Office Travel Policy: https://sao.georgia.gov/state-travel-policy
The Department has 12 holidays, which consultants are not allowed to work nor make up any time for those holiday weeks without management's approval. Consultants are not to take extended leave during their first year of service (e.g. 1 week or greater).
Consultant must have cell phone which can be used for business calls.
GDOT does not provide free parking. All routine commuting expenses are the responsibility of the consultant.
Experience with the design, development, and testing of Enterprise IT Software Applications and Systems Required 4 Years
Experience in upgrading, deploying, and support of Enterprise IT Software Applications and Systems Required 3 Years
Experience working with complex enterprise applications, mainly in Microsoft Technology Required 3 Years
Experience in providing Level 1 and 2 Technical production support and operations Required 2 Years
Experience in integration of Custom Built, COST, or Third-Party software systems with other enterprise systems using APIS and toolkits Highly desired 2 Years
Experience creating technical support documents and guides Highly desired 2 Years
Experience with interaction with Business Stakeholders and Users Highly desired 3 Years
Past project history and client references Nice to have